Saturday, April 9, 2011

The love of Flying

I have a trip coming to visit my friends back in good old North Carolina. Normally planning trips are exciting and usually bring about a happy feeling. And for the most part this is true for me except one aspect of the trip. Flying. I have, for whatever reason, a huge crippling fear of flying. I mean I can fly, I do not have a panic attack or flip out when boarding but I do have other issues. It starts with what I assume can be called irritable bowel syndrome (however embarrassing that is to admit to). I do get sweaty and often find myself gripping the handles. I can't help it even though I have seen the statistics and they help but for some reason I can't get over that. I also attempt to keep distracted with movies and/or other stimulants.

I have had a bad experience on my last flight with a smaller regional jet. I was flying from a larger international airport to a smaller regional one on a slight stormy day. We took off without a problem but soon after words we noticed we stopped climbing and seemed like the engine was not running at full power. Shortly into the flight (roughly 30 minutes) the pilot informed us that we had a mechanical issue and had to turn back. This of course was combined with pretty bad turbulence. It wasn't until we reached the airport (and me slightly freaking out), that we found out the reverse thrusters where not working and not allowing up to cruise at proper speeds. They ended up fixing it and flying us back out in a thunderstorm. It was that day I vowed not to fly for a long time.

I am going to be honest and say that the recent issue involving the Southwest Boeing 737-300 and the 5 foot hole in the top of the airplane. It is that kind of issue that worries me and also well general crashing of a plane. I know if I had been on that flight I would have had a panic attack or two. If you haven't seen or heard read here

I guess where I am getting with this rambling is I hate flying and want to find ways to overcome this fear. I had no real rational reason to be afraid of flying as I know there millions of people who fly safely year around. I mean pilots fly almost every day and most live long prosperous lives so maybe I shouldn't worry as much. If you have an suggestions on ways to stop this let me know!

11 comments:

  1. love the design of your blog, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never traveled by plane. Made me jealous

    ReplyDelete
  3. I flew for the first time last year, and I expected myself to be a lot more nervous than I ended up being, an aisle seat probably helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had some pretty bad flight experiences. I used to fly 3 international flights every month. Bad times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll admit it hasn't been as easy flying ever since 9/11. Especially as a New Yorker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure everything will be fine. Just try and relax, take some meds before boarding or have a few drinks (if you're old enough).

    ReplyDelete
  7. whatever you do, dont do a kumar and try sneaking a bong on board :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to be deathly afraid of flying. I would refuse to fly at all unless it absolutely couldn't be avoided. I don't mid it so much anymore but it still freaks me out more than it probably should.

    ReplyDelete