Thursday, April 28, 2011

Portal 2

So lately I have been playing Portal 2. I never played the first one but always saw reference to it whether it be companion cube or a obscure reference to GLaDOS. I have to say I didn't think a game in which you simply use portals to solve puzzles was going to entertaining. I thought after awhile the puzzles with just be the same old shoot a portal and be done, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't. Sure you have to use portals to solve every puzzle but it's not that easy. I often found myself over thinking the puzzles only to find it is simple. There are a few plot twist which I rather enjoyed and kept me entertained.

The story mode is great and even if you haven't played the first portal game (like myself) you will be able to pickup and follow along. The dialog is absolutely great and has you laughing all the way till the end. The AI GLaDOS has a smart remark for everything and also great cheap insults that will. I never felt as if it was generic comments that took absolutely no thought to put in a game. The Co-op also has some great commentary by GLaDOS in which the AI attempts to pit you against each other.

The Co-OP is a fun addition to the game as it allows you , and even encourages you, to kill your partner. Now I don't mean in the same sense of get a gun and shoot but offering you achievements for dropping a walkway from under your partner. I have had many laughs and frustrations with my partner as it seems hilarious to close a portal as soon as you run towards the exit causing you to fall in water.

If you haven't played it or you are debating on playing it, give it a try! For a puzzle game it is one of the better ones. I have spent hours going back to find the hidden Easter eggs, which I won't ruin here but below is a video (from the end SPOILER) featuring a musical note from the turrets who spent the game shooting at you.


SPOILER DO NOT WATCH THE LAST 20 SECONDS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO RUIN THE END.

DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU.



Translation of the song:

Cara bel, cara mia bella.
(My dear, beautiful darling.)
Mia bambina, a tra che la stima che la stima.
(My child that I admire.)
A cara mia, addio!
(To my dear, farewell!)
Mia bambina cara, perche non passi lontana si lontana de scienza?
(My dear girl, why don't you stay away, yes away from science?)
Cara cara mia bambina.
(My dear, dear girl.)
A mia bel.
(To my lovely.)
A mia cara.
(To my dear.)
A mia cara.
(To my dear.)
A mia bambina.
(To my Child.)
A cara, cari a mi!
(My dear, dear to me!)

12 comments:

  1. BUT is the cake still a lie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanna work together and chase some delicious cake?
    For Science!
    You monster...

    :D

    I so love that freak of a robot from the first part. Can't wait to see how demented she is now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well you warned but .. never mind :D anyway I will play this game first portal was great I recommend it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still haven't finished, I want cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on total information blackout on Portal 2, don't want to ruin it, yet need to finish up some other games before I play it. Feel jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best game so far in 2011. Enjoyed every single second of it, well worth the money. A must have for every gamer. Valve once again manage to give robots a more interesting personality than most other game developers do with human characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou for the recommendation, I may go and get it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great game, I've been recording my runthru as I'm playing singleplayer. The video is @ http://goo.gl/uWon3 +Followed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! I love the song but it definitely does not beat the original!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love anything to do with Portal!!!
    The songs are really funny ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the video, but I still don't know what the game is about. Great animations, I admit I'm curious now.

    ReplyDelete