Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Back to School

I have finally gotten everything squared away to attend Western Oregon University. I was accept back in March but due to waiting for paperwork to be sent across the states. I am still fighting so I do not have to pay out of state tuition. It seems that Oregon's law is that you are required to be living in the state for a year or more before the start of the term in order to be qualified. Regardless of that I was able to get registered for classes on the college's transfer day. I am very glad I attended this as the system here is very different from where I come from.

To start the credit amount is a lot higher but this is due to the term system. I am used to the semester system where you have only fall and spring not Fall, winter , and spring. This means instead of having 30 credits a year I should have somewhere near 45. I am really looking forward to have classes only last 2 months instead of 3 1/2. I felt like classes lasted a long time and look forward to them being over sooner. Also all my credits transferred which was a pleasant surprise to me.

The other difference is how many credits classes are worth. For example some of my science classes were worth a total of 4 credits (3 class and 1 lab) and are not worth 6 (4.5 lecture and 1.5 Lab). It makes me feel like I accomplished more then I have.

TL;DR -> I transferred schools and they go on term system not semesters.

Feel free to comment about your experiences with transferring schools. Maybe something to watch out for.

14 comments:

  1. I haven't transferred yet; I'm still is city college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with studying etc..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, thank god I don't have to go school anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get why would they not use the semester system? That's just confusing :-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! That sounds like a pretty good university. What are you majoring in?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's true that it feels different depending on how they divide the academic year, I had the same feling when I changed high school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that works out for you, but I'm more partial to the semester system :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grats man, good luck over there

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with school. I like the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations.. I wish you the best success. We all know theres going to be hard work ahead of you. Try not to overwhelm yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. By term, you mean trimester?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck in school, wish I had the drive to go back and finish something for once.

    ReplyDelete