Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Credit Cards.....

I have recently been looking into getting a credit card mainly as a way to help increase my credit score and have a way of having emergency funds. This sounds like an easy task of signing up for a card and getting approved or denied. As I have learned there are loads of fine print associated with the cards.

I have been looking to get a card with less than 20% APR, which isn't easy since I don't have much credit besides my loan debt. This isn't a an easy option because most cards require a co-signer or at least a higher income amount then I can current obtain thanks to school. I can't get my parents to sign as my mother isn't a viable credit candidate and father being deceased. I am looking into to possible student cards offered by Citi and discover but am not so sure the APR and annual fee is high.

Its hard not to be dragged in by the special perks they offer such as cash back or bonus points. I just feel as if I will never get a credit card before I graduate college. I am taking a break from searching and am open to suggestions from readers!

16 comments:

  1. I got my first credit card about 6 months ago and it's been great. As long as you keep up with your bills there's no need to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, I don't know much about credit cards. I once asked my father to get myself one, but he didn't allow me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a credit card to make some shopping on ebay without taxes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. be smart with it, I have one as over draft protection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have one too, really great to have one but you have to watch your limits - i know people who have overdone their cards and now suffer from debts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get a CC, it sucks. My credit is so bad from school related crap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Credit card are like designed for us to get into trouble, they're convenient tho.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get a credit card, but don't be dupped by those roaming around campuses trying to convince students to get them, and then deal with high rates and shit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, avoid those wandering around campus at all costs possible, it's a rip off. I feel your pain though, you go out with a mindset that you're going to be in and out of the bank, but it turns out there's a lot of crap behind it. I'm just sticking with debit for now, though I would love to improve my score.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Credit cards can prove to be useful =) My friend signed up to be a doctor on his credit card some how and he has like a 5k limit, hes such a dumb ass lol. Great post, keep them coming. following for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have yet to use credit. I'm sticking to debit for now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. always hated credit cards and always will.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's easy to get one! Just don't abuse it. Make sure to stay under 30% of max limit and pay every time and your credit will get rly nice fast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Credit cards can be pretty risky. I would suggest Capital One, I've had a pleasant experience with them so far. Try to keep your credit limit low and don't carry it with you so you won't be tempted to use it all the time-use it on something small every month and just pay it. It doesn't matter how much debt you accrue, just that you pay it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck getting one, I haven't even got a debit card yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've pretty much used debit all my life. Now I'm late 20's and think I want to build credit and have that emergency back up too. I think I'm in the same boat as you because I don't know where to go.

    ReplyDelete